Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Satan Get 'Cha!

I went to public school for most of my life with the exception of junior high where I went to Catholic school. I can tell you that I wasn't excited at the idea of getting religion shoved down my throat (to the point of actually getting graded for it) and that I was quickly disliked by the school's vice principal and, coincidentally, home room teacher for my first year there.

I was 13 at the time and I absolutely loved metal. I had loved metal since I first saw the War Ensemble video and bought Seasons in the Abyss when it was new. I was too young and inexperienced to know that the common metal head is stereotypically a homophobic moron who'll buy anything with a skull on it. Never-the-less, as a young metal fan, my attention was caught one Saturday morning when an hour long infomercial came on about the Dangers of Rock N Roll. This was the early nineties and while Satanism and Rock music were the subject of moral panic in the mid to late eighties, it was pretty much winding down as far as media coverage goes. But to me, it meant that I could watch tons of clips and maybe even interviews with some of my favorite bands. Well, I didn't have the outrageous and quite honestly fucking BLASPHEMOUS PRICE OF $100 bucks for a few lousy video tapes! You want to get your message across and you're charging $100+? "Who's stupid enough to pay the hundred bucks for this pile of phony shit?" MY V.P. and HOME ROOM TEACHER, THAT'S WHO!

So he waited to drop the ball on us with the videos until the next year when he was simply teaching history and religion (we had an incredibly small school and 3 teachers switch subjects between the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade classrooms) but needless to say I was very excited.

The only one excited, in fact.

So what if I was the only one who listened to anything remotely close to metal? I enjoyed it. Way more than I would have been if I had paid a hundred bucks to see it.

From Wikipedia:

Hell's Bells: The Dangers of Rock 'N' Roll is a Christian documentary film released in 1989. Eric Holmberg produced and directed the film, as well as its successor: Hell's Bells 2 - The Power and Spirit of Popular Music (2004)

The film examines the relationship of rock music to sex, violence, suicide, drug use, rebellion, the occult, and other activities considered immoral by Biblical Theology. The music in the documentary is music produced prior to the nineties. The film portrays various lyrics and visual imagery in rock music and rock stars as evidence that it is satanic or anti Christian.

It also explained the theory of backmasking.




Here's the whole thing and it's sequel.

Hell's Bells:The Dangers Of Rock N Roll 1 & 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment